Friday, February 12, 2010

A Tale of Two Tuesdays

So this is the story of how I got home. I left my apartment on Tuesday morning which meant being packed and having the apartment clean by Monday or it would never get done. I caught a taxi to the airport around 7am, a ride that took about 25 minutes. [It sounds crazy, taking a taxi for that long of a trip, but it only cost 15 yuan, or around $3.20.] The flight from Hefei to Shanghai was a breeze and took about an hour.

I got to Shanghai and then decided to take the Maglev train from the airport into the city proper. The train takes about 7 minutes and travels around a top speed of 443kmph. Pretty Darn fast... I to the subway around for a bit and then got out on Nanjing road. I stopped at a MickeyD's and had lunch. I walked around the city for a bit until i got to the Bund. The bund is an area of Shanghai where foreign architecture is very common. In the Bund you can also take an underground tunnel to the Pudong side of the Huangpu river. I met a couple guys from Australia and we went around the city, past some of the famous buildings like the TV tower the Oriental Pearl.
We went through the city trying to get to the Shanghai World Financial Center... The building is shaped like a giant bottle opener and holds the Guinness World Record for the highest observatory on the 101st floor. So we went up to the 93rd floor and hit the bar for a pin.

After we parted way I made my way back to the airport. I was able to get to the check in station with enough time to spare. I was so late that they had accidentally oversold my seat in economy class and put me in business class... Nothing like a free upgrade. Say what you want about the luxuriousness of first-class... but business class is just fine to me. Of course, my shoulders kept me from getting any sleep on the plane. So I watched five in flight movies and a couple episodes of The Big Bang Theory and 30 Rock (I only like the scenes with Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin.)

So it's math time kiddies... I left Shanghai on a Sunday at 6pm and arrived in Chicago at 5:30pm the same day. I left Chicago around 7:15pm and arrived in Indianapolis around 9:30... I went back in time a half hour and then went an hour into the future. Thankfully this wasn't LOST and I didn't start bleeding from my nose and ears.

I lived the same day twice, who am I, Bill Murray?

No comments:

Post a Comment